In the video below, a Weingartz expert demonstrates how to replace the chain on a chainsaw. Please refer to your owner’s manual for detailed safety procedures.
- Make sure chainsaw is not running
- Locate the bar to the saw
- Loosen the nuts
- Loosen the adjusting screw located in between the two nuts
- Remove the nuts
- Remove the side cover
- Dust off any sawdust debris that may have built up
- Pull the bar off of the stud
- Remove the chain from the drum
- Ensure that the bar is not twisted or bent after removing
- Clean the groove and oil holes of the bar
- Get out the new chain; feel free to wear gloves if you feel uncomfortable with the sharpness of the chain
- Set the bar back onto the stud
- Make sure the cutting teeth on the chain are facing away from you
- Set the chain on the back of the drum
- Guide the teeth of the chain into the bar
- Do the same with the bottom of the bar
- Reinstall the side case
- Put the two nuts on
- Make sure the chain spins freely
- To tighten the chain, tighten the adjusting screw by using a clockwise motion
- Hold the bar slightly upwards and tighten the nuts
- Check that the chain break is working properly
Weingartz, family owned and operated, began in 1945 as a farm supply store for local Michigan families. In the 1970s, we began to focus exclusively on outdoor power equipment. Over time, we morphed into the “power equipment superstore” that now defines all of our locations. The staff and experts at Weingartz work diligently to provide the best service possible and give honest and helpful advice to each and every customer.
Weingartz also sells parts for all outdoor power equipment at https://weingartz.com/parts-lookup.
11875 Northland Dr.
Cedar Springs, MI 49319
Connect With Us!
Sign up for our electronic monthly newsletter for discounts and money-saving tips.